[Advaita-l] satyam jnanam anantam brahman

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 12:40:22 CST 2010

Brahman-Atman is never an object. So unlike the lotus-cactus example you
make, your mind can never really take the form of Brahman. All the mind
has to do, which is at once the most simple answer and the most difficult
to achieve, is to get out of the way and stop superimposing itself upon
Reality.

jnAna that is brahman is never jnAna "of" an object. It just IS. That is
the most that can be said of the matter - yato vAco nivartante aprApya
manasA saha. All your attempts at defining relationships between satya
and jnAna, jnAna and ananta, ananta and Ananda, Ananda and satya, etc.
as well as relationships among these relationships are of no avail. Such
a futile exercise is like trying to put a tilaka on the forehead of your
reflection in a mirror, instead of turning your fingers towards your own
forehead. You will only put the tilaka on the mirror. If you stand still
in front of the mirror, the tilaka may appear to be on your image, but
it will never be on your own forehead. The only way to get it on your
mirror image is to put it on yourself. Therefore, advaita teachers say,
give up the outward definitions and look within.

In a way, advaita already does negate nothing while negating everything.
If you don't see this, you have pinned a false label on advaita. Do not
expect that those who see the truth about it can tell you anything more
than that what you are seeing is only a false label. For us, ultimate
reality is not one of the probabilities, nor even only the substratum of
infinite probabilities; rather, it is the given certainty.

Vidyasankar