[Advaita-l] spiritual daily routines of the members

Sarma KV sarmakv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 04:12:29 CST 2010

Dear Dr. Bharadwaj,

I agree with what you mentioned. The routine of 'those days' is not so
narrow-focused as now.

In aapastamba gRhya sUtra-s, almost every event of a day (including things
like assuaging an angry man) has a "vEdic way" of doing, which was the only
way! It invariably involved invocation of deva-s (by chanting prescribed
anuvaaka-s and doing other prescribed things) and thus there was a regular
'interaction' between the deva-s and humans (like Sri Krishna said in the
geeta,"parasparam bhaavayantaH") which also involved
banishing/keeping-at-bay the asura-s.

It is in these days that the intent to 'interact' with the deva-s has
reduced considerably among the humans. Hence in the present day we think
that when people are doing sandhyavandana or some such thing they are
"praying" Gayatri, Surya etc.

Srouta yaaga-s are vEdia (Srouta) rites performed in the present day also.
They are among the very few of vEdic practices that are performed as
prescribed in the Srouta almost as exactly as done in the yore. The whole
premises - yaaga Shaala - is built as prescribed and hence the area within
is as pure as in 'those days.' Within the Saala, there is no "maDi." In
fact, if a person observing '*maDi*' touches everyone but still thinks he is
in 'maDi', he is jocularly said to be observing "*Srouta-maDi*" in my family
circles.

maDi came (invented/discovered?) when we started focusing on the mundane and
neglected our 'connections.'

-Sarma

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Dr D Bharadwaj <dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear Sri Kuntimaddi Sadananda,
>
> Namaste.
>
> Sir, I am aware that 'as they were used in the original context' they were
> not invented ( though I am not sure that they were 'also not discovered',
> unless you allude to an activity by that word that I currently do not
> associate with, in my mind).  I had *suggested* that these terms could have
> been invented, by us, to mean to include concepts that did not exist those
> days.
>
> Sir, I wanted to know if 'spiritual' and 'non spiritual' routines existed
> as
> such, in those days, in a well marked, if not as mutually opposed,
> dichotomized manner as they are often made out to be these days..
>
> If these 'routines' existed in the Sastras, there ought be terms there
> corresponding to the routines without 'our' having to 'invent' some
> arguably
> sufficiently valid sanskrit, terms for these routines.
>
> *My understanding is that,* originally, before we were influenced by
> 'others', there were no 'spiritual' or non spiritual' components in any
> field. There were no 'spiritualists' and 'non spiritualists'. *My
> understanding is that,*  we don't need buy into the existence of such a
> classification.
>
> Sir, this is my first interaction with you in the Group. I had my share of
> experiences here with some easily offended, touchy individuals ready to
> heap
> loads of caustic, sarcasm in response to an attempt academic opposition. I
> request you not take offence in any manner and to give me a clarification
> that I humbly request for.
>
> శ్రీరమణార్పణమస్తు
>
> Dr. D. Bharadwaj
> dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com
>
>  <dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com>
> sarvE bhavantu sukhinaH |
> sarvE santu nirAmayAH |
> sarvE bhadrAni paSyantu |
> *mA kaschit duHkha bhAg bhavEt || *
>

> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 4:53 PM, kuntimaddi sadananda <
> kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Shree Bharadwaj - they are neither invented nor discovered but adopted
> > after dis-covering the revelations of the absolute truths in Vedanta as
> one
> > is seeking solutions to fundamental human problems.
> > Hari Om!
> > Sadananda
> >
> > --- On Tue, 12/7/10, Dr D Bharadwaj <dr.d.bharadwaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > But were they there or invented/derived by us?
> > >
> > > శ్రీరమణార్పణమస్తు

> > For assistance, contact:
> > listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकं नगुरोरधिकम्।
शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः शिवशासनतश्शिवशासनतः ।।

धन्योस्मि
- श्यामसुन्दरः
http://anantavaram.blogspot.com