[Advaita-l] IshAvAsyopanishad articles

Br. Pranipata Chaitanya pranipata at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 20:56:49 CST 2010

Hari Om Shri Sunil Bhattarcharjyaji, Pranaams!

You mean to say 'the upaniShad that teaches IshAvAsyam (Ishvara is vyApakam)
is IshAvAsyopaniShad'.

If 'IshAvAsyopaniShad' is considered as compound and split; it should become
' the upaniShad which starts with the words IshAvAsyam' like you will split
'kenopaniShad' as 'the upaniShad which starts with the words kena'.
(IshAvAsyamityAdi padaiH Arambhakam upaniShadam yat tat).

The very first word of the upaniShad 'IshAvAsyam' is in improper form and
needs correction.  While applying correction, it is brought into a form as
per the intention of the commentator whether he wants to keep it as a
declaration statement or teaching imparting injunction.

When treating as a statement declaring the truth, it can be made(corrected
to become) a compound word - 'Isha-vAsitam' to be split as Ishvarena vAsitam
(enveloped by Lord).

But AcAryaji takes it to mean as teaching (vidhi-vAkya) which is what
explained by Swami Tejomayanandaji. Here IshA  is a separate word and vAsyam
will be separate word and cannot be make a compound word. vAsyam will be
changed to corrected form of vasa or alternate form vasatAt if vas verb
taken in 1st  conjugation Parasmaipadi or vassva in 2nd conjugation
Atmanepadi. (Since 'IshA' is noun and 'vasa or vasatAt or vassva' is verb,
they cannot be compounded.)

Hence the first two words of upaniShad will read as ' IshA vasa' or 'IshA
vasatAt' or 'IshA vassva'. 'IshA' is already in instrumental case. ('IT'
shabdasya tR^itIyA-ekavacanam IshA).

In Shri Guru Smriti,
Br. Pranipata Chaitanya