[Advaita-l] Fw: Re: APerspective 17-2

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 7 10:22:40 CST 2010

Anbuji,
I am sure the learned members know how Astavakra's father goofed up the recitation of the Vedic hymns and that Astavakra was disturbed though he was still in his mother's womb and we know what eventually happened.  But that does not necessarily mean that his father's decision to send Astavakra to a second guru was wrong.
I am not against devotion to one's guru. I also believe that one can progress through the guidance of one's guru. Guru removes the darkness but Lord Krishna may send different gurus to us at different times. When an advaitic guru came to Ramakrishna Paramhansa he was not receptive. Then he asked Mother Kali as to what should be done and the latter replied that she had indeed brought the Advaitic guru to Ramakrishna so that he takes to the Advaitic path.
Regards,