[Advaita-l] Desire and its Management - A brief study

Br. Pranipata pranipata at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 9 21:05:27 CDT 2010

From: "V Subrahmanian" <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>

> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:18 AM, Br. Pranipata
> <pranipata at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>  'prkRti' is the other word used in the Gita and the  bhAShya for
> 'prArabdha': 'prakRti' (BG 3.33): 'prakRtirnaama pUrvakRta
> dharmaadharmaadi
> samskaaraH ...'  (PrakRti / nature is the samskaara stemming from the
> dharma/adharma done in the past, *now manifesting at the start of the
> present birth*).

You are cent per cent correct.  'jnAnavAn api sadrshaM svasyAH prakrteH
ceShThate' (BG 3.33) is the bija shloka for arjuna's question in verse 36.
It is commented as impressions in the form of vice & virtues.

>  That is exactly what I mean by the term 'management'.  I certainly do not
> mean:  keep the desire.  The 'managing'  is eminently taught by the Lord
> in
> 3.41:

management sometimes can mean living compromising while it should mean
sacrificing.

jnAnam in verse 3.39 is taken to mean mind. (jnAyate anena iti jnAnam manaH
ucyate - gUDhArthadIpila).

mind is nothing full of vasanas -- in this sense desire management/mind
management mean same.  desire arise in mind -- in this sense it is not
managing desire after it arises, but managing the mind in such a way that
lower tendencies do not arise.

'yatra viraktatva-mumukShayoH mandatA tatra shamAdeH marau salilavat
bhAnamAtratA'. (VivekacUDAmaNi 30).

Thanks for appreciating the comments as complimenting and not countering
your views.

In Shri Guru Smriti,
Br. Pranipata Chaitanya