[Advaita-l] Ego, Mind and Body of a Jnani

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 00:11:59 CDT 2010

--- On Sat, 7/10/10, V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shri Shankaracharya has set at rest
> all doubts and disputations that might
> arise / have arisen among seekers regarding this issue:

Sankara undoubtedly holds that the sthitapraGYa/GYAnI does NOT have an ego! I'm actually amazed that you think otherwise!

Vide Sankara's giitaa Bhashhya 3.27-28 (courtesy of Gita Supersite http://www.gitasupersite.iitk.ac.in/ ):

---
..3.27..
prakRRiteH prakRRitiH pradhaanaM sattvarajastamasaaM guNaanaaM
saamyaavasthaa tasyaaH prakRRiteH guNaiH vikaaraiH kaaryakaraNaruupaiH
kriyamaaNaani karmaaNi
laukikaani shaastriiyaaNi cha sarvashaH sarvaprakaaraiH ahaMkaaravimuuDhaatmaa
kaaryakaraNasaMghaataatmapratyayaH ahaMkaaraH tena vividhaM
naanaavidhaM muuDhaH aatmaa antaHkaraNaM yasya saH ayaM
kaaryakaraNadharmaa kaaryakaraNaabhimaanii avidyayaa karmaaNi aatmani
manyamaanaH tattatkarmaNaam ahaM kartaa iti manyate..
yaH punarvidvaan -

..3.28..
tattvavit tu mahaabaaho. kasya tattvavit? guNakarmavibhaagayoH
guNavibhaagasya karmavibhaagasya cha tattvavit ityarthaH. guNaaH
karaNaatmakaaH guNeshhu vishhayaatmakeshhu vartante na aatmaa iti matvaa na
sajjate saktiM na karoti..
---

Translation by Swami Ganbhirananda:

---
3.27
Karmani kriyamanani, while actions, secular and scriptural, are
being done; sarvasah, in ever way; gunaih, by the gunas, (i.e.) by the
modifications in the form of body and organs; (born) prakrteh, of Nature-
Nature, (otherwise known as) Pradhana [Pradhana, Maya, the Power of
God.], being the state of equilibrium of the three qualities of sattva, rajas
and tamas; ahankara-vimudha-atma, one who is deluded by egoism;
manyate, thinks; iti, thus; 'Aham karta, I am the doer.' Ahankara is selfidentification
with the aggregate of body and organs. He whose atma,
mind, is vimudham, diluded in diverse ways, by that (ahankara) is
ahankara-vimudha-atma. He who imagines the characteristics of the
body and organs to be his own, who has self-identification with the body
and the organs, and who, through ignorance, believes the activities to be
his own-, he thinks, 'I am the doer of those diverse activities.'

3.28
Tu, but, on the other hand; he who is a knower, tattva-vit, a
knower of the facts;-knower of what kinds of facts?-guna-karmavibhagayoh,
about the varieties of the gunas and actions, i.e. a knower
of the diversity of the gunas and the diversity of acitons; [Guna-vibhaga
means the products of Prakrti which consists of the three gunas. They
are the five subtle elements, mind, intellect, ego, five sensory organs, five
motor organs and five objects (sound etc.) of the senses. Karma-vibhaga
means the varieties of inter-actions among these.-Tr.] na sajjate, does
not become attached; iti matva, thinking thus; 'Gunah, the gunas in the
form of organs;-not the Self-vartante, rest (act); gunesu, on the gunus in
the form of objects of the organs.'
---

The above commentary is clear that the Self-realized man (referred to as "tattva-vit") does not suffer from the identification of the ahaMkAra of the kind "I am This" or "This is Mine" (the definition of Ego or ahaMkAra)!

Regards,
Kartik