[Advaita-l] Brahmins and Vaishnavas

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Sat Jul 31 03:43:54 CDT 2010

I am of the opinion that our shastras -that part of the code of conduct for
day to day living -can not be applied to now a days work situations -say a
Brahmanan has to wear panchakacham and uthariyam,perform agnihothram, should
have just enough clothes only to sustain himself -say only a pair of
dresses-perform rituals like yathra dhanam every time one goes on a tour
etc.May be you are aware of these things .If you may ask for Vedic
references which I do not have readily but these are followed by the
priestly class only may be with exceptions.Our shastras are well founded and
they will definitely give sukham if they are followed verbatim ,no doubt
about it.But in these days of changed in  value system they-the
guidelines/injunctions regarding day to day life are difficult to follow if
not impossible.This was my point.Idid not mean they are obsolete.I rest with
these observations just to remove any misunderstanding regarding application
of our shastras to good living.R.Krishnamoorthy.