[Advaita-l] gItA bhaashhya sudhaa bindavaH - 2

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 12:05:40 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM, Ramakrishna Upadrasta <
uramakrishna at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, the above sentence of the AchArya means that gItA is a vedanta
> shaastra, a moxa shaastra, and not a mImAMsa-shaastra (which enjoins
> one to do action) with its apUrva/vidhi/nishhedha categories. Now,
> Arjuna had come to battle ready to fight and became sorrowful after
> seeing his relations. The teaching of the gItA shaastra removed the
> sorrow that was previously non-existent, with GYAna as the solution to
> the shoka-moha of saMsaara. The Gita teaching did not create a new
> situation which lead Arjuna to act. I think that is the point that
> AchArya is making.
>
> praNAmaH
> Ramakrishna

Namaste.

In verse 18.63 the Lord says: I have given the most sacred, secret, teaching
to you.  For your part, analyse  this thoroughly and do what you deem fit to
do.

So, the Lord leaves the action part of it to Arjuna's will, decision.  So,
in the Vedanta shAstra too, karma yoga being an indispensable part of it,
the ultimate decision rests in the aspirant, doer.  Also, even in the
context of 'brahma jijnAsA', desire to know Brahman, they have discussed the
issue: whether anyone can injunct, command, someone to 'desire'?  For,
desire is something that has to come from within the person, who after
knowing the 'vastu soundaryam', considering his own abilities, etc. desires
to obtain it.  So, all that the Vedanta shastra does is: tad vijijnAsasva
(Taittiriya Up.) [ intend to know It experientially] tell everything about
the 'vastu', how it can be attained, what benefit will ensue if it is
attained.  It is for the aspirant to ultimately 'desire' to go for it.
However, the shastra also says that it is better for one to desire to get
it.  Still it is just in an advisory position alone; not in any commanding
position.  It is said that in the shastra 'vidhi', injunction is:  ajnAta
jnApanam vidhiH - the instructing, reminding, of what is not known is called
an injunction.  With this knowledge in hand, it is upto the aspirant to
desire, develop it, strengthen it and then proceed.  Only if mumukshA is
teevra, the shastra says, the motivation to put the necessary efforts comes
and success is obtained.  So, the ultimate decision is in the hands of the
doer, his exercise of his will.

Regards,
subbu