[Advaita-l] !!! Doubt about Tripundra Dharana !!!

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Jun 18 03:58:49 CDT 2010

I have observed that Gopichandana is mixed into water befoer adding BHASMA
for Tripundra Dharana.

My question is ......

Why gopichanda is mixed ? Gopichandana is usually used by Vaishnavas for
applying Urdhvapundradharana.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

No, we, here in South India (Karmataka)  normally dont mix gopichandana,
we take only jala mishrita bhasma for tripundra dhAraNa...But I have
observed that some priests who have very sweaty body would mix
gopichandanda with bhasma so that tripundra  would last longer on the
forehead despite perspiration  :-)) I dont see any adhyAtmik significance
in mixing gopichandana with bhasma in smArta sampradAya.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar