[Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 23:44:44 CST 2010

Here is an excerpt from the Book 'Exalting Elucidations', containing a
series of dialogues where Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Swamigal, the
35th Acharya of the Sringeri Sharada Peetham, gives elaborate clarifications
on a variety of topics concerning Sanatana Dharma.  The book is a
Publication of Sri Vidyatirtha Foundation, Chennai. (Rs.50)

33. AMANASKA-YOGA
Disciple: One feels happy when one remains motionless and calm.
Therefore, may one sit quietly for some time, even with
the eyes open, to obtain mental peace?
Acharyal: Surely, it can be done provided it is not indolence. Sages
like Yàjñavalkya have spoken of a practice of this form
called amanaska-yoga.
D: What is amanaska-yoga?
A: It is a state of mind wherein no thoughts appear. True
amanaska is attained only when the mind is destroyed in
samàdhi and one becomes a jävanmukta. Normally, we
dwell on different objects. It appears that thoughts occur
continuously. Careful observation, however, reveals that
there are gaps between successive thoughts. The Àtman
clearly shines in the gaps. People do not note this, as the
interval between thoughts is very short. Bhagavatpàda
writes in the Laghu-vàkya-vRtti:
मुक्ताभिरावृतं सूत्रं मुक्तयोर्मध्य ईक्ष्यते ।
तथा वृत्तिविकल्पैश्चित्स्पष्टा विकल्पयोः ॥ (LV, 10)
[In a garland made of pearls, the thread is hidden in the
places where the pearls are present but in-between two
pearls, the thread is seen. In the same way, the Àtman of
the form of pure consciousness is not apparent when a
thought is present but it is patent in the interval between
the end of one thought and the rise of another.]
 We can obtain great happiness if we calmly enlarge the gap between
one thought and another.
D: Can this be practised even with the eyes open?
A: As I pointed out, the aim is to see that no thought arises in
the mind. So, there is no harm in keeping the eyes open. It
is sufficient if the mind does not wander towards external
objects. While practising, one should remain calm and quite
free from worries. No effort should be made to do or
dwell on anything. If any thought arises in the mind, its
continuance should be discouraged.
D: What indication is there to show that one is progressing in
the path of amanaska-yoga?