[Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 05:32:30 CST 2010

Dear Sri Vidyasankarji,

You have said: "You seem to be claiming that no human
being can validly say that another person has a mind."

I am saying that one can talk of one's own mind being privy to it but not of
the minds of others yet the mind of all is claimed to be known on the basis
of the knowledge of one's own mind and acted on.  The reason imputed in this
is that as long as an assumption regarding all minds is not countered then
that assumption is right.  The point made is that the logic of existence of
the mind is made on the basis of assumption.

Also the mind which is a subject entity is being made into an object entity
which 'object' is an assumption rather than real.  If it was really an
object then I have laid down by my logic as to how amenable it is to be
controlled by another.

You jump in to say that a gnyaani could control his own mind!  Sir, do you
forget that we have fundamental difference here viz. whether or not a
gnyaani has a mind or not?  And do you forget that is all the discussion is
all about? I have said that a gnyaani is a person having done manonaasam and
has become an asangan and adhvitheeyan and that being so is no impediment
for him to communicate with anyone for he is free and unfettered.  Such
assumption of karmas on the part of the gnyaani is with the agnyaani and not
gnyaani.

I did give the example of Bhagavan Ramana who advocated manOnaasam and you
have admitted such technic of manOnaasam to attain gnyaana is not unique to
Ramana.  That puts you in company with those who claim that Bhagavan Ramana
attained gnyaana by manOnaasam.  If he communicates to us that manOnaasam is
the way to attain gnyaana why would you have to impute a mind for him in
order to say that?

I have already said that I cannot prove to you that a gnyaani is without a
mind (or even be with a mind which idea you seem to arbitrarily assert in
spite of the fact it is only an assumption.)
One can find out for himself which is true by becoming a gnyaani himself.
This would involve his realization that he suffers from thaapathrayam and
the realization 'na karmaNa, na prajaya, na dhana thyaagEnaikE
amrithathvamaanasu:'  Sukritham viz. nishkaamakarmam enables one to get to
this point.

I dealt with this subject on how it all arose before in
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2009-September/044094.html
Bhagavan Ramana and Aadhi Sankara have said that the world comes alive as
you wake up projected by the mind and dissolves into nothing in deep sleep
when the mind becomes unmanifest.  This unmanifest mind is the avidya or
sleep or darkness.  When this sleep is broken by manOnaasam there is the
realization of 'swaathmaanam evaadhvayam'.  To the Gnyaani there is no
world, no body, no mind, na bandham, na mOksham.

Regards,
Anbu