[Advaita-l] A Small Composition

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 21:55:20 CST 2010

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com wrote:

>Isn't verb root math is primarily conjugated as per the 9th group, so
>as to give mathnAmi for uttama purusha ekavacana? Usually, the root
>manth is described as a stronger form of root math, but I have seen
>1st group like conjugation with math itself (mathati etc). In that case,
>mathayAmi should technically be allowable for causative, although I
>admit it looks a little strange. manthayAmi would of course seem to be
>the most acceptable usage.

The dhAtupATha has manth viloDane in both the first (bhVAdi) and ninth (kryAdi)

gaNas. mathnAmi is an acceptable usage. So is mathAmi. The mAdhavIya dhAtuVR^itti,

for example, lists manthayati as a causative form.  The BrihaddhAturUpAvali by

T R Krishnacharya, available at the Digital Library of India, also lists manthayate.

The form mathayAmi may be suspect. Please see below.

>I notice that the Monier Williams dictionary says the form mAthayati
>is found in the mahAbhArata, which also seems a bit strange. Why the
>dIrgha in the first vowel?

The general rule for forming causative verb stems is to use what grammar books call

the "gunated" form and add "aya", if the root ends in a consonant. If the root ends

in a vowel, then the root is "vriddhied" and "aya" is added to form the stem. There are

exceptions. I mention a few. The root gam (to go) does not follow the "gunated" form.

So we have gamayati, etc. Roots such as ranj, and manth too, do not use the

"gunated" form. We have ranjayati and manthayati.

For example, to get the causal stem for the root budh, one first

gets the "gunated" form bodh. Then aya is added before all terminations, giving

bodhayati, etc. This rule may have been followed to derive the stem mAthaya in the

mahAbhArata case, suggesting the formation gunated math (mAth) + aya. The

termination mAthayati

Anand