[Advaita-l] Veda VyAsa visits Shankaracharya

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Mar 18 01:02:07 CDT 2010

Nitpick: The dialogue for the movie was "translated" by MM. vidvAn shrI
ranganAtha-sharmANaH - vaiyAkaraNa-mUrdhanya and a staunch advaitin.

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I've not seen this movie..I dont know what exactly is the dialogue that
saMbhAshaNakAra has put in the mouth of shankara & vruddha brAhmaNa rUpi
veda vyAsa here.  But in mAdhaveeya,  dialogues between these two are very
interesting & went on 8 days!!!...vyAsa asks shankara to clarify one of
the sUtra-s in brahma sUtra (in 3rd adhyAya's first sUtra) shankara
clarifies his position but vyAsa refuted his interpretation in hundred
ways & in turn shankara counters vyAsa's arguments &  justifies his
position in thousand ways :-))  and finally after seeing real form of
vyAsa, shankara prays him and gets additional 16 years to his
lifetime...Interestingly, if the dialogue writers opted for
AnantAnandagireeya shankara charitra, then shankara would have instructed
his 'shishya' padmapAda to do kapOla tAdana & kick the vruddha brahmaNa
out of scene!!  shankara a humility personified, who is bhagavan shankara
himself asking his shishya to man handle 'vruddha brAhmaNa' who is 'svayaM
vishNu'  just because he was dragging the issue!!  How many kapOla kalpita
(or poetic imaginations) episodes we can see in these biographies!!

Since the nitpicking issue has come year, I dared to share my
thoughts...this is not to belittle the credence of any biographers.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar