[Advaita-l] Guru - yoga -jnana

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 18:50:29 CDT 2010

Dear Vidyasankarji,

"What better way to fight the "guru proliferation" as you call it (and
the secularism that you hold responsible for it) than to hold on to
the traditional concept of Guru?"

This is a myopic view.  It shows you care little for the disaster that
secularism has brought to Hinduism over centuries, on the plea you are
holding on to the traditional view.  This is really burying one's head in
the sand.

"Why don't we all just gather the
courage to say, "this is our tradition, we will privilege it and preserve
it to the best of our ability"? Everything else will follow naturally."

Great!  I like the declaration!  However I do not understand the last
sentence viz. "Everything else will follow naturally."  Can you be more
specific?  I can only think that the consequences are that we would
increasingly be attacked and we may have to attack back one time or another
just as Swamy Vidyaranya did.  That is my understanding of human reaction.

"Suffice it to say that a traditional
individual can live without problems in a nation that is secular in its
governance."

This is not a fact.  Were it a fact I and others would not have raised it.
I wish to remind you of the difference between the secular laws made by man
and the dhaarmic laws which |I hope you cherish as you the fondness for the
Vedas.  Human laws are biased, totally adhoc and is suppressive in the end.

I realize that this is not the focus of this list as you might come to lay
it down as the owner/moderator but that is no reason to brush it under the
carpet if the intention is not to escape facing the problem.

"All this talk of traditional institutions and their leadership vis-a-vis
the so-called "pAmara jana" completely overlooks one point. Why
should it be the responsibility of an institution like a SAnkara maTha
to do exactly what the institutions of a proselytizing religion do?"

Mainly because there are this Guru and Ashram proliferations occuring to
fill the gap that is causing havoc to the Hindus.  Many of us are crying out
loud to the traditional institutions because of our trust in them to come
together and play a more pro-active role instead of vegetating.

"What happened to the responsibility of every individual in society
who does not count himself or herself as part of this "pAmara jana"?"

Sure they have responsibilities.  That is why they beseech to the time
tested traditional institutions to come together and save Sanaathana Dharma
instead of acting like a 'bramin' institution catering to this small varNa
even after they on both sides of the isle have thrown away their
yagnopaveetham (one as a sanyasi and another turning into a vaisya while
trying to talk vedantha for fun).

Regards,
Anbu