[Advaita-l] On the forms of Guru

Anbu sivam2 anbesivam2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 19:50:26 CDT 2010

Dear Sri Vidyasankar,

>From my point of view there is a beejaaksharam involved in this and there is
a process and condition attached in its revealation.  So much so I have to
let you hold on to what you think is the truth if you do not agree with me
that it represents Easwara.  Perhaps you may wish to think that I am giving
you an excuse.  It is OK with me.

Bhagavan Ramana to whom I owe my learning does not consider hrdhayam to be
the mind.  I did quote Him from His  Upadesa Saaram.  I also have as much
learnt under a Guru (and not just through books) on Sankara's advaita and do
not for a moment think that the two have any difference among themselves.
Actually one of Bhagavan's first works was his treatise of Sankara's
DhakshiNaamoorthy SthOthram.  One may  claim that Bhagavan Ramana is
different from Sankara and then disown Him for not falling in line with
certain concepts that someone understands as being not in line with
Sankara.  If you are one of them it is your choice.

"ps. In the bhAshya-s, Sankara bhagavatpAda does not see any reason to
distinguish between the physical heart and a so-called spiritual heart.
Across
the world, the heart (not the brain) was traditionally considered the seat
of
the mind. And there is both a literal and a metaphorical usage of the word
"heart" in the texts, ranging across multiple systems of thought. As far as
can see, all this talk of a "spiritual heart" that is different from the
physical
heart (and then going on to specify a physical location for this spiritual
heart!
- why?!!) is a 19th century reaction to the prevailing medical view of the
heart
as a mere blood pump. Today, there is increasing scientific recognition that
the heart is a much more complicated organ, and there is even a field of
medicine called neurocardiology."

And Sunilji is right.  Bhagavan says the locale of the hrdhayam is on the
right chest where we all point to when saying 'I'.  Hrdhayam is translated
as heart in English for whatever reason but that does not mean it is a
physical heart that is on the left that is meant.

The vedanthin hold that the locale of the mind is at the throat.  Sorry to
differ with you on that one (because you think it is in the physical heart)
and hold on to a view that is much more ancient than the 19th century! (By
the way that is the reason that the maangalyam is tied there!).  For more on
that you may wish to read my second musing posted in this list.

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/archives/advaita-l/2009-September/044094.html

I know that so many people consider western education to be superior and all
knowledge should be known in its light. On the other hand we folks talk of
'para' vidya some of which are not even written or spoken, yet transmitted
from the Guru to sishya.  The western education would be nowhere near it!

And finally I do know you 'absolutely do not like to argue for argument
sake'.

Regards,
Anbu