[Advaita-l] The Treatment of Avidya in Advaita - Part 1

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon May 3 01:08:06 CDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM, savithri devaraj <savithri_devaraj at yahoo.com>
wrote:
>> By making a comment on my Article, you have unwittingly
>> commented on the
>> comprehending capacity of Savithri Madam.  For, has
>> she not ended up with
>> 'doubts' after reading my Article according to you?
>>

> This is basically a personal attack and inciting discord amongst others.
It is irrelevant to the discussion.

> No offense taken, and I am sure Bhaskar means no such thing.

Namaste Madam,

Let me clarify.  This is what Bhaskar ji had said:

//  My dear prabhuji, please note this is the reply to your article
only...if your article resulting in doubts in the minds of readers..then it
is not fool proof & it is not an universally acceptable theory..//

The 'reader' he is referring to here is undoubtedly you, for it is only you
who had commented on this thread upto the point of my replies.  Let me
assure you that even I did not mean that Bhaskar ji meant offense  when he
made that remark.  I was only trying to show what implications could be
drawn from his above words and one of them is that ' a reader has ended up
with doubts after reading my article.'  And doubts are always a result of
not comprehending a text or speech. Is that not true? In the Brahmasutra
bhashya, the method is: One or two  or more Shruti passages are taken up and
one or more 'doubts' 'samshaya' proposed by the pUrvapakshin.  He gives the
consequence of these doubts too: a provisional siddhAnta or a prima facie
view.  The siddhaantin analyses these very passages, if necessary, in the
light of pUrva-apara and some other passages elsewhere and concludes that *the
doubt arose only due to wrongly comprehending the passages,* failing to see
the complete picture.  Then follows the final view: the siddhAnta proper.

Let these not be seen as inciting discord among members.  We are a friendly
group.  In the bhashya too there will be a siddhAti-ekadeshi who stands up
to make an objection that is often detrimental to the main siddhAnta.  His
concerns too are addressed by the main siddhAntin. The method of this
discussion group is only an extension of that.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v