[Advaita-l] A help required regarding some Sanskrit words

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed May 5 12:34:52 CDT 2010

Many thanks Naresh for the illustrative input.

 With respect to this:
//निरवद्यम् = निर्गतम् अवद्यम् (दोषः) यस्मात् तत् = that from which
faults have gone.//

there seems to be a problem:  In the very popular Sri Venkateshwara
SuprabhAtam there is a mangala shloka:

नित्याय निरवद्याय सत्यानन्दचिदात्मने ।
 सर्वान्तरात्मने श्रीमद्वेङ्कटेशाय मङ्गलम् ॥

Here if we apply the explanation provided above, there will be asvArasya,
rasAbhAsa.  No bhakta would like to admit that the Lord had some doSha
before and that has now gone from Him.

I think there is an Upanishadic mantra too that ends with ......निरवद्यं
निरञ्जनम्   Here too that problem will have to be encountered.

Long ago I was told that निष्ठा is नितरां स्थितिः .

What would you suggest the meaning of निरुक्तम् to be?

Some more possibilities, subject to someone's correction, are:

निःशेषं उक्तम्, निर्धार्य उक्तं, निर्णीय उक्तं, निःशङ्कमुक्तम्, etc.  From
the rule you have provided, निः and नि, I think the latter is ruled out for
निरुक्तम्, for, it looks like there is निर् here.

Best regards,
subrahmanian.v