[Advaita-l] Mayavadam Asat Sastram

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun May 16 15:00:53 CDT 2010

Om Sri: Govindaya Nama:

According to Padma Purana, Lord Vishnu ordered Lord Siva to descend as a
Brahmana to teach the jivatman and paramatma are one. In this philosophy the
renunciation of one's duties is expounded and Brahman is declared to be
devoid of qualities. This argument of mayavadam is said to be covered
buddhism. The question is if this is the view of sastrasm then where is the
ground to accept the teachings of Adi Sankara which matches all of the
above? This position has been taken by gaudiyas and madhwas in Mani Manjari
take a slighltly different position that Lord Siva in turn controls a demon
called Manima. The followers of Sri Ramanuja take a position that
Sankaradvaita is prachanna baudham but dont know if they quote Padma Purana
verses. AFAIK.

 mAyAvAdamasachchAstraMprachchannaMbauddha ucyate |
mayaivakathitaMdevikalaubrAhmaNarUpiNA || Pa Pur 6.236.7 ||
The doctrine of MAyA (illusion) is a wicked doctrine and said to be
pseudo-Buddhist. I myself, of the form of a brAhmana, proclaimed it in Kali
(age). (padma puraaNa, uttara-khaNDa, 236.7)

apaarthaMshrutivAkyAnAMdarshayanlokagarhitam |
svakarmarUpaMtyAjyatvamatraivapratipaadhyate || Pa Pur 6.236.8 ||
It shows the meaninglessness of the words of the holy texts and is condemned
in the world. In this (doctrine) only the giving up of one's own duties is
expounded. (padma puraaNa, uttara-khaNDa, 236.8)

sarvakarmaparibhraShTairvaidharmmatvaMtaduchyate |
pareshajiivapAraikyaMmayAtupratipAdhyate || Pa Pur 6.236.9 ||
And that is said to be religiousness by those who have fallen from all
duties. I have propounded the identity of the Highest Lord and the
(individual) soul. (padma PuraaNa, uttara-khaNDa, 236.9)

brahmaNosyasvayaMmrUpaMnirguNaMvakshyate mayA |
sarvasyajagatopyatramohanAarthaMkalauyuge || Pa Pur 6.236.10 ||
vedArthavanmahAshAstraMmAyayAyadavaidikam |
mayaivakalpitaMdevijagatANAshakAraNAt || Pa Pur 6.236.11 ||
I stated this Brahman's nature to be qualityless. O goddess, I myself have
conceived, for the destruction of the worlds, and for deluding the world in
this Kali age, the great doctrine resembling the purport of the Vedas, (but)
non-Vedic due to the principle of Maayaa (illusion) (present in it). (padma
puraaNa 236.10-11) mAyAvAdamasachchAstraMprachchannaMbauddha ucyate |