[Advaita-l] Gayatri Mantra and Sandhyavandana

Ananth Padmanabhan padmanabhan_ananth at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 21:25:46 CDT 2010

Namaskaram to all

I have 3 questions in this regard.
1. I have to travel for my work and many times while on the plane or driving to work during the sandhya time, I used to perform the 'manasika sandhya' (Krishna Yajur veda) from the 'aachamanam thru ApOhishta, Suryascha.../Apafpunanthu../agnishcha.., dhaDhigrAvinnO..,  ArkyaprAdhanam,asAvAdhithyo..., Gayathri mahAmantajapam, Upasthanam.. until adhyAnO dEva...yadh bhatram thanma Asuva Om Tatsat brahmArpanamastu|| simulating mentally the rituals of prOkshanam/mArjanam/arkyam/dhikvandhanam etc associated. I am happy to learn that I am NOT doing the wrong thing -knowingly or unknowingly. I request the learned members to comment.
2.I also used to combine the prAtha sandhya and mAdhyAnnikam while performing the prAthasandhya, whether doing the traditional way or mAnasika method as I may not be able to perform during the appointed time (at work ). Is it okay?
3. If for any unforeseen reason, I miss my Prathasandya/mAdhyAnnikam, I make it a point to chant the Suryacha../Apafpunanthu.. along with agnischa.. during my sAyamsandhyA and also chant the 'mithrasya...andhidhOnadhoorAth' and 'AsathyEna...pasyEma saradhassadham...' (backspacing myself mentally to the past morning) prior to 'imammE varuna...'. Is it allowed?

With namaskaram
Padmanabhan