[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 70, Issue 10

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue May 18 00:05:33 CDT 2010

I am not familiar with this.  Do you have a reference for where in the
Ramayana this episode supposedly occurs?  I cannot really respond
otherwise.

sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vyas prabhuji
Hare Krishna

The author of the book Sri R.K. Srikanta Kumara Swamy gives two examples
from the vAlmeeki  rAmAyaNa in support of 'stree upanayana'.

(a)  ayodhyAkAnda 30-15 & 16 :  sAkshauma vasanA hrushvA nityaM
vrataparAyaNA, agniM juhOtisma tadA maNtravat krutamaMgalA, pravishyatu
tadA rAmO mAturaMtaHpuraM shubhaM, dadarshamAtaraMtatra hAvayanteeM
hutAshanaM...kausalya, mother of Sri Rama without knowing rAma's vanavAsa,
by wearing silk dress, was doing vrata and doing hOma by reciting
maNtra-s, rAma saw this while entering the antaHpura.

(b)  sundarakAnda : 14-49 :  saNdhAkAlamanAHshyAmA dhruvameshTati jAnaki,
nadeemchemaM shubhajalAM saNdhyArThevara varNinee..Hanuman while searching
for seeta in ashokavana thinks that since there is river flowing  here and
it is the time for saNdhyAvandana, if seeta around here she would
definitely come here to do saNdhyAvandana.

Author argues that since according Apasthamba, upanayana saMskAra is only
for getting 'vidya' (vidyArjana) both stree & purusha are eligible to
undergo this saMskAra.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar