[Advaita-l] GYAnimAtra and the sthitapraGYa (was Re: FW: Avidya, Jnanis and SSS' views)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Sat May 22 09:27:43 CDT 2010

> Sankara bhagavatpAda talks fairly extensively of vAsanA-s in the
> bRhadAraNyaka
> bhAshya 4.4.2, when explaining the word pUrva-prajnA. The entire
> commentary on
> the 4th brAhmaNa of the 4th adhyAya of this upanishad (4.4.1 to 4.4.25)
> should
> be read carefully, especially in the context of what happens at physical
> death and
> rebirth and what it all means for a mumukshu and the jnAnI.
>
> sAshtAnga praNAms Sri Vidya prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> prabhuji, when jnAni realizes that he is akatru, abhOktru & always
> ashareeri how does a physical death of the jnAni can influence the jnAna
> of that jnAni??  Moreover, kindly bear with my ignorance, from the above
> para I am not able to understand whether you are agreeing that ajnAna
> nivrutti eva mOksha or there needs to be something done after Atma jnAna

I am simply pointing to a pertinent discussion in bRhadAraNyaka bhAshya.
Understanding what the bhAshyakAra is saying is up to the reader. The
question is not whether physical death affects anything, but the fact is
that it occurs to the body. I said that the bhAshya passage says what
that means for both a mumukshu and the jnAnI. Please read this along
with what the gItAbhAshya says about the kRtArtha-lakshaNa-s and how
these have to be cultivated by the sAdhaka through prayatna.
Vidyasankar