[Advaita-l] A question on Sanskrit usage

Ravi Parimi rparimi at gmail.com
Mon May 31 12:18:43 CDT 2010

The examples of panchami you have given are correct and used widely in
literature. I believe these are obtained by adding the तसि taddhita
suffix that's described in Panini sutra 4.3.114. To quote from Shri
Abhyankar's dictionary on Sanskrit grammar:
तसि (I) a taddhita affix तस् showing direction by means of a thing
e.g. वृक्षमूलतः, हिमवत्तः cf Kashika 4.3.114 and 4.3.115
(2) taddhita affix तस् applied in the sense of the ablative case and
substituted for the ablative case affix; e.g. ग्रामतः, अागच्छति, चोरतः
विभेति; sometimes the affix is applied instead of the instrumental or
the genitive case also. e.g वृत्ततः न व्यथते for वृत्तेन न व्यथते;
देवा अर्जुनतः अभवन्, for अर्जुनस्य पक्षे अभवन् cf. Kashika 5.4.44-49

Regards,
--ravi