[Advaita-l] A question on Sanskrit usage

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon May 31 16:15:18 CDT 2010

Thanks Ravi ji, for the reply.

I was told today by a Sanskrit teacher at the University that these usages
are governed by a Panini Sutra: पञ्चम्याः तसिल् .  Is this the one you are
referring to?

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Ravi Parimi <rparimi at gmail.com> wrote:

> The examples of panchami you have given are correct and used widely in
> literature. I believe these are obtained by adding the तसि taddhita
> suffix that's described in Panini sutra 4.3.114. To quote from Shri
> Abhyankar's dictionary on Sanskrit grammar:
> तसि (I) a taddhita affix तस् showing direction by means of a thing
> e.g. वृक्षमूलतः, हिमवत्तः cf Kashika 4.3.114 and 4.3.115

Could this be an example of the above:  मूलतो ब्रह्मरूपाय, मध्यतो
विष्णुरूपिणे, अग्रतः शिवरूपाय वृक्षराजाय ते नमः .  Here are we referring to
the place/position/direction by the 'tasil'?

> (2) taddhita affix तस् applied in the sense of the ablative case and
> substituted for the ablative case affix; e.g. ग्रामतः, अागच्छति, चोरतः
> विभेति; sometimes the affix is applied instead of the instrumental or
> the genitive case also. e.g वृत्ततः न व्यथते for वृत्तेन न व्यथते;
> देवा अर्जुनतः अभवन्, for अर्जुनस्य पक्षे अभवन् cf. Kashika 5.4.44-49

This is very interesting.  What about this usage in the Gita:

कामक्रोधवियुक्तानां यतीनां यतचेतसाम् ।  *अभितो* ब्रह्मनिर्वाणं वर्तते
विदितात्मनाम् ॥ (5.26)

Here, what is the status of अभितः?  The bhaashyam is: उभयतो, that is, for
such Jnani-s Moksha is both here and after death as well.

Regards.