[Advaita-l] Antaryami Vishnu & anya devatas.

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 05:22:22 CDT 2010

Welcome Krishna to this forum.

Regarding your last question about the debate between Swami Vidyaranya and
Sri Akshobhya Tirtha, here is a fine resource:

A Kannada book titled 'Akshobhya Vijaya Vibhrama' (The delusion regarding
Akshobhya's victory) authored by Sri G.R.Patil (Retd. Director of Public
Instruction, Dharwad, Karnataka) addresses this 'debate' and after a very
detailed analysis of  a number documents and several Madhva books
establishes that such a debtate did not take place at all.  I recently
finished reading this very interesting book.  It has some 35 chapters and
very well documented.  Spanning over 350 pages in good print, the book makes
an incisive analysis of the subject.  In the process it brings out many
inconsistencies within the Madhva tradition about the event and the details
thereof.  Several noted Madhva scholars are differing over the dates that
are crucial to the determination of the event.  The author has documented
Vishistadvaita evidences also in this regard.

Above all, it is a very 'decent' book and does not contain unsavoury remarks
or uprintable language against Madhvas.  The author treats every Madhva
Acharya with utmost respect, something that is missing in Madhva's reference
to Shankara (sankara).

The Publisher: Brahma Vidya Prakashana, Shri Shankaracharya Sanskrit
Pathashala, Gandhi Chowk, Dharwad.   Year: 2005.  Rs. 150. In the title page
is contained this info. about the book:

'Akshobhya Vijaya Vibhrama'  A research work negating the so-called
disputation that took place between Akshyobhya Teertha and Vidyaranya in
14th Century.  It is an evaluation of the articles of many ancient and moder
writers.

Pranams.
subrahmanian.v