[Advaita-l] What is abhitaanvaya-vaada and anvitaayabhidhaana-vada ?

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 12 22:35:17 CST 2010

Refer to page 42 onwards of Samkshepa saareeraka of Sarvajnaatman - translated
by Prof. N. Veezhinathan:

"There remains one important question, namely, how is the meaning of a sentence
known? Two theories are put forward to answer this question, one known as
abhitaanvaya-vaada, and the other, anvitaayabhidhaana-vada."

I read through the text, but not able to comprehend clearly and completely.
Would someone who has already studied this text, or someone who read these
concepts from other texts help me understand. Would you please point me to some
other place where these concepts are analyzed, so that I may get to read a
different presentation.

I have other clarifications to seek on Samkshepa saareeraka. But, I will reserve
them to later posts.

Thank you

Srikrishna