[Advaita-l] Meaning of Shi Va

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sun Nov 14 02:53:41 CST 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010, Muralidhar Maddala wrote:

> Namasthe,

> I was recently at a workshop when a passing remark was made that Shi Va
> (as two sounds) were the next ones that followed the pranava nada of AUM
> and that Shi represents the creative energy (prakruthi ?) While Va
> represents the unchanging Consciousness (purusha?).

I have not heard of such a thing but it is possible that some Shaiva
shastra says this becuase the agamic forms of Shaivism and shaktism
atleast is based on Samkhya where the purush in inert and creation evolves
from dynamic prakrti.  This is expressed by imagery such as Shiva being a
"Shava" (corpse) under the feet of shakti.  It is for this reason the
brahmasutras do not spend much time refuting the shaivas considering the
arguments against samkhya to apply mutatis mutandis against them.

In advaita Vedanta, purush when the term is used at all is equated with
Brahman which is real and the source of creation.  Likewise prakriti is
maya which is wholly unreal.