[Advaita-l] What is abhitaanvaya-vaada and anvitaayabhidhaana-vada ?

Br. Pranipata Chaitanya pranipata at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:36:28 CST 2010

> Refer to page 42 onwards of Samkshepa saareeraka of Sarvajnaatman -
> translated
> by Prof. N. Veezhinathan:
>
> "There remains one important question, namely, how is the meaning of a
> sentence
> known? Two theories are put forward to answer this question, one known as
> abhitaanvaya-vaada, and the other, anvitaayabhidhaana-vada."
>
> I read through the text, but not able to comprehend clearly and
> completely.
> Would someone who has already studied this text, or someone who read these
> concepts from other texts help me understand. Would you please point me to
> some
> other place where these concepts are analyzed, so that I may get to read a
> different presentation.

Hari Om Shri Srikrishnaji, Pranaams!

anvitAbhidhAnavAda advocate that words already grammatically connected, have
the denotative power.  abhihitAnvayavvAda advocate that there is the
subsequent connection of the words denoting their meaning.

madhusUdana sarasvati svAmiji deals these and refutes in his work
vedAntakalpalatikA (27 & 28) while determining the meaning of mahAvAkya 'tat
tvam asi'.

In Shri Guru Smriti,
Br. Pranipata Chaitanya