[Advaita-l] Brahmin census

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 19:23:52 CST 2010

Namaste Sriram ji,

It is not difficult even in the present times to start and continue the
adhyayana  of one's Veda (sva-shAkha).  If you are in India, especially
South India, there are a number of people who have a reasonable skill in
teaching you.  For example, I have arranged for a scholar to come to my
residence every day to teach certain portions of the KrishnaYajur Veda.  A
few people in our neighbourhood take classes from him.  We pay a certain
amount of money every month to the scholar.  I myself teach the Sri
Rudram/Chamakam, some sUktams, portions from the Mahanarayana Upanishad, the
Taittiriya Upanishad, etc. Srivaishnavas and Madhvas also are attending the
classes at my residence.  I teach the Bh.Gita and other stotrams/shlokas to
many,young and old.

I wrote this because if someone takes the initiative, a number of people get
benefited and more such initiatives spring up.

In Chennai, a friend of mine has arranged  for the teaching of the Veda at a
number of localities and they are very enthusiastically received.

By making use of Skype, you can definitely study the Veda even if you happen
to live in a place where there is no one to teach.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v