[Advaita-l] Advaita and Caste System

Satish Arigela satisharigela at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 03:16:51 CDT 2010

1) I think first you should be aware that since this a traditional list, though
matters of dharma are discussed in addition, questions like this are out of
place here.

2) Come out of your colonial mind-set. Systems like those of caste or its
equivalents have their own merits.
There are some ugly happenings related to caste but caste system or varNa
system(yes I am aware there is a difference between these two) are not the
cause. The cause for such happenings is lack of proper education(by education i
mean something different than getting a degree certificate), narrow-minded-ness
etc,.

As long as this education(the one that I talk about) is absent, discrimination,
violence etc happen in the name of caste. If caste is abolished, then they
happen in the name of language if that is abolished then in the name of region
or accent or anything else and the list can be endless.

Which is exactly why I remarked that one who tries to abolish caste and or
varNa is nothing less than a fool.

I will respond to this thread only offline.

And by the way do you research and home work before dishing out non-sensical
statements like caste /varNa system being equal to racism. I will not discuss
this aspect till you do your basic homework!