[Advaita-l] Personal - Advaita and Caste System

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 04:38:25 CDT 2010

Hari OM, Gopi ji,

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Gopi <antarurjas at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Praveen ji, Pranaam
>
> Precisely the context of this whole discussion. brahmin only by birth? what
> about all the killings? to be ignored because he killed only kshatriyas?

The context of this discussion is not who is a brAhmaNa, but Advaita
Vedanta placed against or outside the caste system. The other issue of
who is of what varNa is a discussion that has
happened on this list umpteen times.

In any case, the position you bring is that Parashurama is to be a
kshatriya because he killed! To my knowledge, there is no pramANa in
any shAstrAs to this effect, kindly provide the same. The
worst of the brahmaNas is one who leaves gAyatri mantra. After three
such generations, one born in such a family loses brAhmaNa status.
This is covered by Kanchi Paramacharya in his Hindu
Dharma. Pls refer the same if in doubt.

praNAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
[Br.Up. 4.5.15] */