[Advaita-l] Adwaita and God

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 19:14:13 CDT 2010

Dear Srikantaji,

1)
Agreed that Sankhya did not say "Neti Neti" like the Vedanta says and we also know that   Sankhya said that "Ishvara is asiddha", which rigorously speaking is different from "Neti Neti". Then will you kindly  explain what do you understand by the saying that "Ishvara is asiddha" ie. the existence of Ishvara cannot be proved. I was trying to be pedagogibal and  was sacrificing rigour to make the point understand that Sankhya does not deny the existence of God. However if you can give a rigorous explanation of "Ishvara is Asiddha';'  i shall be extremely grateful.
2)
PLease do not compare "Vaisheshika" with "Vedanta". You are speaking to the tune of the western  scholars who think that the six systems of "Darshanas" are competing philosophies. The six systems of "Darshanas" are at different levels of understanding. Sankhya is at a higher level of understanding than the Nyaya-Vaisheshika. Similarly the Purvamimansa and Uttaramimansa are at higher levels that the Sankhya. Nobody questions the highest level of Vedanta. My mail was trying to say that none of the six darshanas can be said to be atheistic though the position of Nyaya is not very clear. Let us not try to be faulit -finding by going away from the point under discussion.

Regards,

Sunil K. Bhattacharjya