[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Sep 1 07:14:48 CDT 2010

praNAms
Hare Krishna

In Sathyanarayana Puja Katha the Sadhu Vaisya did not do Puja even
after daughter got married. This made Sathyanarayana angry.  He cursed
Vaisya and his family. His family suffered very much. Afterwards he
prays to Sathyanarayana he gets wealth and family is happy. But when
king Angadhvaja rejected Sathyanarayana Prasada he destroyed all his
sons and wealth. Again the king did Puja  got back sons and wealth.

>  yes, you are right 'vrata kathe' in 5 adhyAya-s go like this!!  but
dont you think this would show satyanArAyaNa in a bad light??  is this
devata lacking proper discrimination power to take revenge irrationally on
the whole family?? why he has to appear in front of those vaishya & his
son-in-law despite knowing they are liars??  why at the end he has shown
his 'real' form to those 'vartaka-s' without any meaningful sAdhana from
them!!?? If you dig these type of stories further, you will end up in
getting doubts like this. is it not??  Anyway, I always take these purANic
stories with a pinch of salt and I think these episodes cannot be held as
pramANa to prove karma by one & its anubhOga by another!!

The Purana have lot of stories Papa of someone will punish him and his
family.  Why should we see Vedanta to explain this?

> purANic stories should ultimately lead us to vedAntic parama siddhAnta.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar