[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden (satyanArAyaNa pUjA)

Ramakrishna Upadrasta uramakrishna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 07:20:33 CDT 2010

2010/9/15 Dr. Yadu Moharir <ymoharir at yahoo.com>:

> Also does any one have any thoughts why the name Satya AND NaaraayayaNa used here?
>
> NaaraayaNa would have been sufficient?

namaste,

The first prayer to lord krishhNa in shriimad-bhaagavad-purANa in the
10th skandha by the devas, when He was in the womb of devaki has a
beautiful use of satya.

10.2.26

satyavrataM satyaparaM trisatyaM
satyasya yoniM nihitaM cha satye
satyasya satyamR^itasatyanetraM
satyAtmakaM tvAM sharaNaM prapannAH

Swami Tattvavidananda-ji makes a connection between the use of this
word satya in the above shloka, and the satyaM-paraM-dhiimahi of the
janmAdyasya-yato... (1.1.1) of shriimad-bhaagavaraM.  He also mentions
that the annavaraM temple has the inscription of this shloka.

Please listen to this explanation at the following link

http://www.avgsatsang.org/hhstvs.html
http://www.avgsatsang.org/hhstvs/mp3/A%20talk%20on%20Satyanarayana%20Vratam.mp3

Note: Obviously, most of the talk does not go too much into the
historical aspects of the vrata, but into the philosophical
explanations of the above shlokas.

dhanyavaadaH
Ramakrishna