[Advaita-l] pUrvajas' karma / pApa & our burden

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 10:12:42 CDT 2010

> >Just a digression from the main topic, perhaps you might be knowing that
> >in advaita saMpradAya there is a (very) valid place for the influence of
> >prArabdha karma even after self-realization!! prArabdha karma cannot be
> >eradicated even after the dawn of brahma jnAna...Even a brahma jnAni can
> >act & do things (sometimes abnormally/strangely ) according to his
> >'prArabdha janita' set of BMI !! But through his power of jnAna, he
> >controls it within certain time gap..And this time gap depends on his
> >prArabdha karma...So, I humbly believe, talking on karma & karma phala &
> >its influence on various individuals etc. are very much within the scope
> >of vedAntins.

On a lighter note, Bhaskar, the above are strange words coming from you!

On a serious note, please note that when the texts say "prArabdha", they
are sometimes talking of prArabhdha karma-phala and at other times of
Arabdha karmA. The current body is part of the phala of prArabdha karma.
When it is said "bhogAd eva kshayaH" (extinction through experience), the
bhoga - experience - refers to the phala, not to the prior done karmA per se.

Vidyasankar