[Advaita-l] Agnimukha question

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Sep 17 06:23:35 CDT 2010

Namaste Sri Bhaskar,

praNAms Sri Venkatesh prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Kindly explain Agnimukha briefly and purpose of the steps if possible.

> Apasthambheeya agnimukha shatpAtra prayOga (i.e. darvi, Ajya sthAli,
prOkshaNa, pUrNa pAtra, Idhma, sruva)is an elaborated procedure & as said
earlier, it is better to learn from the guru...Though step by step
procedure available in printed version there is nothing like learning the
same from the guru..

There are some homa manuals online to do Sankshipta Homa at home without
priest. IS this the correct way ?

>  AFAIK, it is not at all recommended, even if I want to do some hOma at
home I've to call some priest and do it..For that matter, regular vrata-s
(like varamahAlakshmi, gowri, ganesha, ananta padmanAbha etc.) also we
should do with the physical presence of priest..cassettes & CDs not at all
advisable..

Can we put small coconut piece instead of full coconut in Poornahuti? Can
we leave some steps in a Sankshipta homa?

>  in strict sense, the pUrNAhuti is NOT offering sarees, silk blouse
pieces, shushka naarekela etc. The pUrNAhuti formality will be completed
with dvAdasha AjyAhuti from sruk..(ghee offered to yagneshwara from darvi
after filling it twelve times from sruva)...

Prabhuji, I think it is better to discuss these things off the line as
these topics are not with in the scope of shankara philosophy, otherwise
this list would become 'karma pradhAna' pUrva meemAmsaka list :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar