[Advaita-l] The collapse of duality in the geeta

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Wed Apr 6 05:57:12 CDT 2011

Dear Jaladharji,

//

This is one difference between the Vedantic vision and the nastikas.
Buddha saw the end of duality as empty void -- the end of being
altogether.  This is why he calls the supreme goal nIrvANa ("extinction".)
But our Rshis saw it as the fullness (pUrNata) of being.  There is nothing
that is not pervaded by Brahman.

//

Request clarification on the above point.

I believe that the term "nirvANa" also finds its reference in Bhagavat Gita & elsewhere if i remember Gau.Karikas.

In what way, the nirvANa of nAstika mata of bauddha & nirvANa of  astika mata of ours
are different?

//

Arjuna finds this vision too difficult to bear as even with divine help,
he is simply not prepared.  Glimpses of non-duality can be had even by
those with no knowledge of Vedanta whatsover.  But this is fleeting
and unstable.  jnana is what makes one "established in Brahman"

//

Kindly elaborate on the above statement.

Probably the above statement of yours is inline with shruti vAkya :
"atmavArE draShTavyO shrotavyo.....nidhidhyAsitavyaH".

But some of the mahAns had the taste of nonduality without even studying the
ABC of vedanta like Bhagavan Ramana, Nisargadatta Maharaj etc.

So, how do you make the samanvaya for the above.

regs,
sriram