[Advaita-l] Taittiriya Upanishad question

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 04:58:58 CDT 2011

Namaste

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Vidyasankar Sundaresan
<svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Namaste
>>
>> Taittiriya Upanishad 2-1 -- So Snute Sarvan Kaman Saha. The Knower of
>> Brahman in the heart enjoys all desires at once.
>>
>> There is a connection of this with 3-10-5-6. He sings the Sama song Ha
>> Vu Ha Vu.
>>
>> He enjoys all desirable things and sings in joy the Sama song Ha Vu Ha Vu.
>>
>> This means when he is liberated he can express his joy in words.
>>
>> The Dvaitis say how can you say words cannot be there in Moksha Sthiti
>> because Upanishad is saying the person in Moksha will sing Ha Vu Ha
>> Vu.
>>

> Just as a jIvanmukta on earth can use words and express joy in words.

But the Jivanmukta can not be the meaning in this sentence because he
says Iman Lokan Kamanni Kamarupee Anusancharan.  If Jivanmukta is
meant how can he roam these worlds. He stays with us on earth.

Other Muktas can roam anywhere.

> The upanishad vAkya-s cannot and should not be cited piecemeal, just
> to make a point. The totality of the text must always be kept in mind.
> The same taittirIya upanishat also says, "yato vAco nivartante ..." and
> even within the cited sAman, the brahman-knower says, I am food
> (aham annam), I eat food (aham annAdaH) and I eat the eater of food
> (annam adantam admi) - all of which makes sense only in terms of
> being a praise (stuti) of brahmavidyA. It is not to be taken literally. It
> is not as if in the mukta sthiti, the brahman-knower actually sits around
> eating and being eaten.

The meaning can be like this. At the same time Mukta gets experience
of becoming Food and Eater of Food. What is wrong?

-Venkatesh