[Advaita-l] A Humble Tribute to the Sringeri Jagadguru

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Mon Apr 11 08:53:04 CDT 2011

Dear Srikrishna,

//
VardhantI (Birthday) ????

//

Entering into Sanyasa Ashrama is like taking new birth of Sanyasis.
Hence, past is dead for them.

That is why, we should not ask "pUrvAshrama nAma" & the
related details of yatis.

I know Shri Swami Tattvavidananda Saraswati is his purvAshrama who worked as
Director (Technical) in a big pharmaceutical company.  Swamiji is a Ph.D in organic
chemistry.  After the discourse, a person from audience stood up and approached
Swamiji (who happens to know Swamiji in purva ashrama) and enquired about
official matters related to His Purva Ashrama.

Swamiji literally blasted the person who wanted to enquire about such purvAshrama
related matters.

So, for yatis, purva ashrama is dead.

But still out of the devotion towards their gurus, devotees celebrate the functions
called birthdays, utsavas etc.  This is just a sign of their guru-bhakti and
the yati should remain like an observer of those functions with nArayaNa smaraNa without getting involved in them.

This is the yati lakshana.

regs,
sriram