[Advaita-l] Taittiriya Upanishad question

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Mon Apr 11 23:35:22 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

I feel our discussions sometimes tend to prescribe how a jnani should be.

>  dont you think we have to do this exercise to differentiate the genuine
jnAni-s from the charlatans, who, in the name of god & religion engaging
themselves in every questionable activity and justifying the same!! And
jnAni-s are the role models for the ordinary mortals like us, if he, in
the name of prArabdha karma, doing all sorts of gibberish work, what is
the use of krishna's definition of sthitha prajna in geeta??  Once, Sri
Vidya prabhuji has told me, though it is very difficult to pick genuine
jnAni among the mass, it is not that much difficult to find out the
impostors!!

When such discussions used to take place Bhagavan Ramana used to quip "Let
jnani look after himself. You look after yourself first".

> I do agree that we the loukika-s do not have any authority to scale the
credence of the jnAni..but, we the mortals would definitely  look for
guidance from the shreshTa-s and try to follow what they do!!
yadyadAcharati shreshTaH......sa yatpramANam kurute lOkastadanu
vartate..says geetAchArya.  If the jnAni engages in 'gOdhUli saMbhOga' and
blames it on his prArabdha karma, dont we, the ordinary mortals, find the
same reason for all our illegitimate activities also prabhuji??

Jnani is said to be free. It means he is free to कर्तुम्,
अकर्तुम्,
अन्यथाकर्तुम्, i.e.,  to do, not to do or to do anything else
he likes.

>  No, jnAni never ever engages himself in any shAtra bAhira or dharma
bAhira act..this is what shankara clarifies in sUtra bhAshya.  kartum,
akartum, anyathAkartum will well be within the boundaries of shAstravidhi
though he (the jnAni) is beyond the shAstra & dharma.

Though lay people's dos and don'ts are not binding on a jnani, he appears
to follow them for our sake I think.

>  yes, you are right prabhuji, now you tell me, if he does something
which is quite contrary to dharma vihita/ shAstra vihita and later on pass
the buck on his 'prArabdha karma' how many of us going to understand this
prArabdha karma theory of jnAni & accept him as genuine jnAni:-))

They can be बालोन्मत्तपिशाचवत्.

>  IMO, the jnAni-s who are always factually in either bAla bhAva, unmatta
bhAva or pishAcha bhAva would not be recognised as 'jnAni-s' by us,
instead we think that he is someway abnormal :-))  If A jnAni behaves like
a child and always asks for ice creams, peppermint without a word of
tattva or some occassional pavada-s who is going to take him as a jnAni,
instead we just think this person is mentally immature and needs
treatment:-), if a jnAni is always unmattavat without a dose of
tattvOpadesha and miracles, we just think him as a dipsomaniac and refer
him to a rehabilitation centre is it not??  and if the jnAni always does
all devilish things due to his 'pishAcha' like bhAva, who is going to
follow him??  As far as possible we avoid such person and if it goes
beyond control, we never hesitate to lodge a police complaint to get rid
of him :-)) is it not??

>  So, what I am trying to say here is though there is no stipulated rules
& regulations for the jnAni,  we, the mortals, would like to recognise the
'jnAni' through some inherent qualities that we understood from shAstra &
AchryOpadesha. And one of those qualities is, says the lord in geeta :
prajahAti yadA kAmAn sarvAn manOgatAn, AtmanyevAtmanA tushtaH..He is Apta
kAma, he is krutakrutya that is the reason why he is called 'sthitha
prajna'.

regards,
Sarma.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!