[Advaita-l] Can a mithyA-vastu produce an effect? असत्यवस्तुनः अर्थक्रियाकारित्वम्

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 00:08:28 CDT 2011

Namaste

2011/4/24 V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>:
> It is in this sense that the BhAgavatam says that unreal objects too
> generate utility.  So we have
>
> (1) natural 'unreal' objects like a shadow, a reflection, an echo,
> appearances like the sunrise and sunset, moonrise and moon
> set, the earth appearing to be static to those who dwell here though
> 'really' the earth is in constant motion and
> (2) manmade 'unreal' 'imaginary' objects like the latitudes/longitudes,
> weights and measures, scripts for expressing sounds, etc. all of which have
> some or the other utility.  This is the असतः साधकत्वम् the scripture
> (bhAgavatam) and Shankaracharya point out to.
>
> The example given in the scripture is aimed at teaching that the entire
> kShetram, the created universe, is only an expression of the Truth,
> Brahman.  The 'total' utility, the परमप्रयोजनम् of the unreal kShetram is to
> inform us about the real kShetrajna, Brahman/Atman.
>
> The kShetram has प्रतीयमानत्वम्, अर्थक्रियाकारित्वम् and बाध्यमानत्वम् .
> The last verse of the 13th chapter of the BhagavadgItA (भूतप्रकृतिमिक्षं च )
> is the proof for this.

If we tell a lie to a mother her soldier son is dead in the war she
will weep with sadness. Her son is not dead but her tears are not
false. But when she comes to know after some time it is a lie she will
think I wept for no purpose. It was a waste. What is the use of her
tears?  Where is the Arthakriyakaritva of the lie?

-Venkatesh