[Advaita-l] Fwd: What is 'aprAkRta' ?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:27:04 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Ramanan Subramanian <ramanan82 at gmail.com>wrote:

> My two cents on this issue:
>
> //
> > Jivan Muktas have a body made of
> > material elements created due to prarabda karma. Their form is not
> eternal
> > like the Lord's.
> >

> It would be incorrect to say that.  Just like the Ishwara's avatara has a
> beginning and end on the physical plane and yet the devotee several
> centuries later too can pray and be blessed by that avatara, a jivanmukta
> too can be prayed to and his blessings and guidance got by devotees  long
> after his physical death.
> //
>
> I would refer to Bhagavatam and Sridhara Swami's commentary on the same. It
> adds credence to RV's position:

I do not see that the quote given by you contradicts my position either.
All that I have said is that a jivanmukta's form is still available for a
devotee for dhaarana, dhyana, etc.  There are innumerable instances where
Sri Chandrashekhara Bharati SwamigaL or Sri Abhinava Vidyateertha SwamigaL
have appeared in dreams and in the waking also to bless a person, clarify
something, or even give a mantropadesha.  Even today several decades after
their physical departure from this world these instances take place.  I had
not disputed any position that the quote you have given contains. This
comment of Sridhara Swamin applies to the jivanmukta acharya who has shed
his body: दृश्यते च आद्यपि (i think this has to be adyaapi) तद्-उपासकानां
तथैव तद्रूपसाक्शात्कारः फलप्राप्तिश्चेति भावः.

Regards,
subrahmanian.v