[Advaita-l] Is Isvara paramartika?

Rajaram Venkataramani rajaramvenk at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:08:02 CDT 2011

Sri Subrahmanian: Ishwara is definitely not the absolute; He is relative to
the created world and the jivas.
RV: I raised this question earlier and the following is the answer from Sri
Devanathan, an academic scholar with traditional training. It is from Volume
77 Issue 9. Prof. Lance Nelson (University of San Diego) takes the position
that you do. Dr. Sanjukta Gupta Gombrich (Oxford) also takes the position
that Isvara is relative though she states that there is difference in the
position between vartika and vivarana schools. My position is that Isvara is
absolute but not for the reasons that Sri Devanathan states. In my view, it
should be based on direct textual evidence for the definition of Isvara from
pre and post Sankaran advaitins resolving apparent conflicts through
logic. However, I would like to know your views on his views to start with.