[Advaita-l] the qualification to be an advaita guru

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Tue Aug 9 06:42:59 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

" Shankara says - there are three types of gurus.

1. He is shrotriyaH and brahma nishTaH

2. He is shrotiyaH but not Brahma nishTa

3. He is Brahman nishTa and he does not know how to teach."

The first is the best, the second is the next and third one, we can
respect
but we cannot learn.

> I am also curious to know where exactly shankara says all these
things!!??  especially the third one.

But, is there any authoritative verse or comment from bhAShyakAra that a
"shrotriyaH but not brahmaniShTha guru" (second type) is better than a
"brahmaniShTha but not shrotriya" (third type).

>  and one more doubt here...can a person become brahmanishTa without any
knowledge of shAstra??  As per shankara, shAstra is the ONLY pramANa to
become brahmanishTa or brahmajnAni...how can a person become brahmanishTa
without the aid of antya pramANa??  or to become brahmanishTa,
shAstrAdhyayana, shravaNa, manana & nidhidhyAsana not a necessary
sAdhana??

The absence of brahmaniShTha implies that there are serious obstacles like
viparIta-bhAvanas

>  I am sorry to say this, but according to some advaitins even
brahmanishTa-s,  are not free from this vipareeta bhAvana, due to
prArabdha karma or avidyAlesha  they too occasionally have kAma-krodhAdi
vipareeta bhAvana / pratyaya.  ( Kindly note this topic is not for any
further debates just a passing remark while on the subject...I think we
have already spilled enough ink on this issue earlier :-))

have more satsanga and personal relationship with the type-3 Guru

>  if we go by strict advaita jnAna as propagated by shankara, the
existence of type-3 brahmanishTa is not even a remote
possibility..Because, without vedAnta vAkya janita jnAna or without direct
sAdhana-s like shravaNa, manana & nidhidhyAsana, brahma jnAna is not at
all possible for an aspirant.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar