[Advaita-l] On sanskrit grammar in the website on ongoing lectures in grammar

Ramakrishna Upadrasta uramakrishna at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:07:08 CDT 2011

2011/8/9 Srikanta Narayanaswami <srikanta.narayanaswami at yahoo.com>:

> What I said about the website on the ongoing lectures in sanskrit grammar sent by Ramakrishna,that the lectures could have been better organised from fundamentals than presenting at random as in the web starting from 'Halantha"without proper explanations.
> The word "Chidabhasa'is a "Gunasandhi"since the "ta"in Cjth is replaced by "da"as per 'Gunasandhi".
> similarly,the word ending with "E"can be replaced by 'Ae".

There are a couple of points here:

1. The material is closely follows laghu-siddanta kaumudi. Because of
scarcity of time, only a "reduced" laghu-kaumudi is covered, with the
material of the examples being from Gita.  Lectures on kaumudi itself
can be found from the web.

2. From the sUtra sUchi page, here is a vRitti of a guNa sandhi,
selected from kaashikaa:

http://www.avg-sanskrit.org/avgupload/sutras/6-1-87.html

वृत्ति: अवर्णात् परो योऽच् , अचि च पूर्वो योऽवर्णः , तयोः
पूर्वपरयोरवर्णाचोः स्थान एको गुण आदेशो भवति । In place of a preceding
(long or short) अ letter and a following अच् letter, there is a single
substitute of a गुण letter (अ, ए, ओ – see sutra 1-1-2)

Here is the laghu-siddanta kaumudi vRitti, which traditionally is
memorized/remembered (like veda) along with the relevant pANini sUtra

27 अवर्णादचि परे पूर्वपरयोरेको गुण आदेशः स्यात्. उपेन्द्रः. गङ्गोदकम्..

3. You could also refer to the lectures and Feb-13-2010 for knowing
the particular  process by which the transformation you are suggesting
happens.

==

I have given the link because I thought the mistake made was very
basic and can be corrected by proper reference.  Since this discussion
is not directly related to the list motives, I would not respond
further on this thread.

namaste
Ramakrishna