[Advaita-l] the qualification to be an advaita guru

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Aug 11 05:51:37 CDT 2011

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Its very interesting that bhAShyakAra himself says "yes" to the above
question and goes to great lengths to justify why shravana etc are not the
only means for jnAnam.

>  That is really very interesting to know that there are 'somany' means
to attain brahmajnAna!!.  In that case, even shrotriyatva is not required,
a brahmanishTa, who attained this brahma jnAna through some other means
can impart this knowledge to others without taking an iota of help from
shAstra.  Is it not??

He says that brahmajnAna can take place through independent alternative
means like tapas, shraddha, past-karma etc etc. TOO. (Brihadaranyaka
bhashya 1.4.2)

> Kindly pardon me, I seriously doubt the context of this bhAshya
vAkya..Anyway, I shall check the originals tonight.  can 'past-karma' too
fetch us the brahma jnAna??  IOW,  can a karma give us the ultimate
paramArtha jnAna??  It seems the answer is affirmative above, but I dont
think that is what the intention of bhagavatpAda in the above bhAshya
vAkya.  If there is multiple roads to ultimate destination, then the
shruti pronouncement 'nAnyaH panTha vidyateyanAya' needs to be read in
some other way.  However, there is no dispute that these accessory
sAdhana-s would help us to pursue the jnAna mArga through shravaNAdi
'DIRECT' means.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar