[Advaita-l] Ritambara Prajna

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Aug 19 01:46:00 CDT 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Ramesh Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Well, the function of upAsana is only to produce an untainted intellect. In
> an untainted intellect, the mahAvAkya pramANa can perform its function of
> annihilating aj~nAna, in the sense that the pramANa is actually meant for
> dvaita nivRtti rather than advaita siddhi (as AtmA is svavamprakAsha).

The point is that upasana presupposes understanding of shastra.

> nirvikalpa samAdhi is certainly neither necessary nor sufficient, but it may
> be an extreme statement to say that it is orthogonal.

By orthogonal I mean only that it is not required.  I don't disagree that
it is a powerful tool but one can be a jnani without it.  So sadhakas
should not make attaining samadhi a goal just a handy tool to use if
available en route to the true goal -- jnana.