[Advaita-l] vedic yajna

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Dec 1 05:21:23 CST 2011

Kindly write something about Bruhadaranyaka 6-4-7 asking a man to
strike his wife with a stick. Do you feel we can take direct meaning
of Sruti and do it? Is it proper conduct today? If it is not proper
conduct what is the hidden meaning of the Sruti Vakya? Do you not feel
today we have to take a modified meaning of the Vakya like scolding
his wife instead of striking her?

praNAms Sri Venkatesh prabhuji
Hare Krishna

Yes, I do agree, when  I cannot even scold my wife, how can I imagine my
fate if at all I beat her :-))  Anyway, that does not mean that I have to
confiscate the simple instruction that shruti giving here in this context.
 I'd simply say shruti telling us then existing practice & male domination
in the family which cannot be followed nowadays considering the females'
equal rights in our social system.  But this type of attitude towards
shruti vAkya, does not imply that shruti is telling something else than
its plain meaning and we have to interpret these type of
sentences/instructions to suit the present scenario. In short, accept the
plain meaning of shruti vAkya without trying to twist it and agree that it
is not advisable/possible  to  practice today :-))

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar