[Advaita-l] Date of Gaudapadacharya

Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 23:00:39 CST 2011

Dear friends,

I came to read that the Kavale math (originally Kaivalya math or Gaudapada math)  in Goa claims that it was established by Swami Vivaranananda, who was a guru-bhai of Adi Sankaracharya, as both of the were disciples of Shri Govindacharya and that the Kavale math was established almost simultaneously at the time Adi Sankaracharya established his maths. That math claims that the Buddhist scholar Bhavaviveka, about whom Hiuen Tsang wrote, has quoted from Gaudapada and they think that Gaudapada and Nagarjuna had similarities of expression and thought and that is why Gaudapada should be contemporary of Nagarjuna. They also say that a copper plate has been found in Goa at Shiroda mentioning that the Bhoja king Devraj donated land at Kuttali to Govindaswamy.

This parallel history appears to throw quite a different perspective on the dating of Adi Sankaracharya. Are our learned members aware of such a parallel history?

Regards,

Sunil KB