[Advaita-l] Tampering of ancient texts.

D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ dvnsarma at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 23:10:39 CST 2011

Critically editing the ancient texts is necessary and a number of
ancient texts have been critically edited. BORI Mahabharata and
Baroda Ramayana are examples of such critical editions. In these
editions if a portion is removed because the editors consider it as
extrapolated, they mention it and give the portion removed separately
for future reference.

But lately I am aware that some publishers including some reputed ones
are simply omitting certain passages because they think that they reflect
badly on hinduism. This is a silly and futile attempt because most of our
ancient texts are available in their full form in libraries
of western countries
and we will only be exposing our weakness and academic dishonesty. I think
that
this is a very important issue and the members of this forum should express
their opinions about this.

--
regards,
Sarma.