[Advaita-l] Tampering of ancient texts.

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Dec 14 00:36:13 CST 2011

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ wrote:

> Critically editing the ancient texts is necessary and a number of
> ancient texts have been critically edited. BORI Mahabharata and
> Baroda Ramayana are examples of such critical editions. In these
> editions if a portion is removed because the editors consider it as
> extrapolated, they mention it and give the portion removed separately
> for future reference.
>
> But lately I am aware that some publishers including some reputed ones
> are simply omitting certain passages because they think that they reflect
> badly on hinduism. This is a silly and futile attempt because most of our
> ancient texts are available in their full form in libraries
> of western countries
> and we will only be exposing our weakness and academic dishonesty.

I agree 100%.  The problem is that nowadays in India history is only a
branch of politics which is why much of the serious scholarship is being
done elsewhere.  The only defense is for those who care to redouble their
efforts to see that high standards are kept up and resist the
bowdlerizers.  Complain if you see books like this.  Publicize the name of
inferior editions so others are not fooled.  Satyamevajayate is more than
just a slogan.